It seems there is a bit of confusion as to what NASCAR NATION on the internet is. Why? Because NASCAR.com has decided to make their community section a place called "NASCAR Nation", with pictures, videos, blogs, etc. If that sounds a little familiar, It should, we at nascarnation.us have been offering these same features for quite some time. The new section of the parent NASCAR.com site went live Saturday, July 23, 2011. We have been running the various features you see today on NASCAR NATION-Where NASCAR Fans UNITE! for nearly four years now, having moved from a forum-only format in 2008. We opted for a social network platform to better enhance the member experience, and to encourage deeper engagement between members who share a love for the sport of NASCAR. There are several differences between the two, I will name a few that stand out.
- 24/7 Live Chat. NASCAR NATION-Where NASCAR Fans UNITE! chat is open to the registered members 24/7. The chat there is not, and I am unaware of where to find a schedule of when it is.
- You can "friend" other members here. You send a friend request, the recipient has the option to accept it or to not accept it. For whatever reason, you cannot over there at this time. I'm unsure if it is a feature they are working to improve, or find it better to not allow it.
- Send private messages. This ties into "friending" people, you can send private direct messages to inboxes of people you are friends with here.
- Manage your own page. you have your own page with many features, including a comment wall where people can leave you public messages, such as Happy Birthday, or post funny videos or links, etc. many other uses. You will also find an area that shows all of your contributions to the site for quick access. There are alot of cool features on your member pages, just go check it out!
- Create and join groups. Have a great idea for a group? Go to the Groups Home Page and click "Add Your Own" We will review it, and create the group if it is an acceptable topic, the group will be created by us and everyone will be free to join the group and participate. There is no requirement of the group to be limited to just NASCAR, but groups based on anything vulgar or highly political content will not be approved. This is not the place for sex, hate speech or extremely touchy political content, let's leave that to the websites that welcome it!
- Create and advertise events. Live near a race track and want to form a get together? Having a party and want to invite us to it? you can do that with our Event planner.
- Minimal moderation. So, you think Kyle Busch sucks, huh? You think Dale Jr. is overrated? You're single and looking for the love of your life? You broke two toes skateboarding barefooted? You simply can't stand brocolli? Well, feel free to say so. Just because this community is here for NASCAR fans, doesn't mean all we have to talk about is NASCAR. We encourage growth of friendships, acceptable humor, smack talk (within acceptable limits) and dislike of food groups. it's no biggie.
There are other things you may come across here on NN you will enjoy. The main thing is, we are a great community of people who love NASCAR, and enjoy socializing and getting to know the great people here. We do not discourage you from participating in both communities, as a matter of fact, we encourage you to! It's a great sport, and is fun to participate in communities built around sharing our fanhood. I personally belong to several different NASCAR communities, including NASCAR.com. We built NASCAR NATION-Where NASCAR Fans UNITE! to be a place BY the fans, FOR the fans, and we feel we have accomplished just that. The pulse of the NASCAR lives here, and we all love this great American sport. We are a very laid back fun group, and welcome any NASCAR fan to join and share in the fun!