NASCAR NATION

NASCAR NATION-Where NASCAR Fans UNITE!

At the moment that Chase's car hit the wall, my heart broke. Not that I haven't had my heart broken many times before and I've always lived through it. I'm sure I will this time too. Being a sports fan can often be heartbreaking but this one hurt a little more than usual. At first, I jumped up and yelled and cussed "Dirty Denny". Judging by the boos, a lot of other fans must have felt the same way.

After my initial reaction, I calmed down a little and tried to figure out if I was especially angry because of who was involved. I adore Chase and have never been an especial fan of Denny. Does that make me biased? Would I have felt the same way if, say, Jimmie, had knocked Austin Dillon into the wall? Well, probably not but I can't quite remember Jimmie punting a fellow driver deliberately. Maybe he would if, as in this case, winning meant an automatic entry into the final race? That's not Jimmie's style but a championship trophy is a powerful incentive.

I watched the incident several times and in my mind, it was a purposeful decision on Denny's part. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

Does Denny care? Probably not very much. Everyone likes to be liked and you don't want to piss off your fans but, on the other hand, NASCAR racing isn't a popularity contest. The goal is to have Champion in front of your name, especially if you don't already have one. It's what your owner wants and your team wants and your sponsor wants. So on the balance scale, I thinking being a Winner weighs way more than a few boos.

If this sounds like I'm giving Denny a bit of a pass, I guess I am.

Over all, Martinsville was a fun race with plenty of bumping and grinding and passes for the lead and drama and a huge melee at the end. I think this is what NASCAR wants and what fans want. Of course, Chase was mad at Denny when it was over and Ryan was mad at Harvick. The media will probably try to play those up as serious feuds.

With Chase and Kyle Larson, I console myself that both of these talented and charismatic young drivers will have plenty of opportunity for wins and championships in their future.

I don't really expect to see Jimmie standing on the big stage this year. He did great coming from the back after starting last but he always seems to get in that 5th to 12th spot and just can't get enough speed out his car to get any farther.

I still think it will come down to Martin and Kyle B. If so, I'll root for Martin because he would be a first time champion but my heart probably wouldn't be in it to any great degree. .

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

nascar has had this rigged since Daytona for kyle to win.

they have to give him another championship after a full season to make up for the one they gave him after missing half the season.

nascar is in the toilet waiting to be flushed.1.7 million viewers is all that watched last weeks race.its getting clearer and clearer to the fans whats been going on,not so many people are calling me crazy now a days..........

RSS

Forum

Hoisting the Championship Trophy

Started by Vicki Williams in ALL THINGS NASCAR. Last reply by Eve♥24CE 4 hours ago. 3 Replies

First, I'd like to tell you a curious little factoid about this blog that might surprise you. I write four blogs - politics, NASCAR, writing and cancer. My blog host has been blogspot.com since I first began blogging. They provide interesting…Continue

Tags: Earnhardt, Danica, Patrick, Dale, Jr

Long NASCAR-less Winter Ahead

Started by Vicki Williams in ALL THINGS NASCAR on Friday. 0 Replies

It was heartwarming to see Matt Kenseth in Victory Lane at Phoenix after his next to the last race (so far as we know). I never considered Matt one of "my" drivers but I always liked him a lot and it seemed that most people did. By sharing his final…Continue

Tags: Chase, Elliott, Homestead, Hamlin, Denny

Recent Visitors

JAYSKI NEWS

2018 Monster Energy #NASCAR Cup Series Driver Chart

the latest updated 2018 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series teams, drivers, sponsors and more...........

The 2018 Monster Energy #NASCAR Cup Series schedule

The 2018 NASCAR Cup Series schedule with dates and race times........................

Jayski.com's #NASCAR Article Links page @Jayski

Daily links to NASCAR articles, stories and blogs that are found interesting........................

The 2017 Monster Energy #NASCAR Cup Series Results

The 2017 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series results links, along with links to lineup, pitstalls, practices, entry lists........................

© 2017   Created by Eve♥24CE.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageLoadTime']); <